IWSG - July


This week's question is: What is one valuable lesson you've learned since you started writing?

I would say the number one lesson I've learned is write for yourself - don't worry what other people will think, don't try to write what you think other people will like. Write the story you want to read. My experience in writing has shown that when I get too bogged down with trying to write something other people will like, it discourages me from writing because it just makes it too hard. We write for ourselves, and if other people like our writing, then that's a bonus. 

Camp NaNo Update:


So Camp NaNo officially started on Saturday, and I'm doing quite well so far. I was a little worried about hitting my goals over the weekend, as I was busy both days, but I managed it! I'm really enjoying writing the story; it's been in my head since March this year, and I was so excited to get started on it. Here are my stats:


Obviously I haven't started writing yet today, so it'll look better later on, but it gives you an idea how I'm getting on so far. Here's hoping it continues to go so well!

Comments

  1. Looks like you're going to blow Camp Nanowrimo out of the water! Woohoo! I'm one of those people who worries a lot about whether people will want to read what I'm writing. It's my curse! :) http://www.raimeygallant.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. One of the biggest things that I've learned is that worrying about what other people will think or what they think will keep you from ever hitting the computer keyboard to write.
    All the best.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G Everything Must Change

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what started me writing - I wrote for me, what I wanted to read.
    Keep up the good work with Camp NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura - definitely write using your own voice ... good for you for doing CampNano - enjoy it .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Write the story you want to read—YES!! This, exactly!

    Glad you're enjoying your NaNo story. That doesn't always happen for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go get those word counts. I'm not doing the Camp but I hope to write at least that much in July.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you are enjoying the experience. All the best in meeting your goals, Laura... I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your lesson is among the very best of the lot. Good for you. And good for you on that word count! That's darned impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so true! I do the same thing. I write for me, stories I want to read. That's what keeps me excited about them. Best of luck with Camp NaNo!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always written for myself, but I find I have trouble finding other people who enjoy the same things I do. Maybe I just have weird tastes. :-P

    http://www.cdgallantking.ca/2017/07/strangely-funny-iv-release-iwsg-july.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great advice and spot on! Wonderful that you're working on a story that's been with you for awhile those are usually the really important ones. They won't let you alone until the story is told! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Laura, I saw the cup of coffee and knew immediately I had to respond even though it's evening and I'm drinking wine. Wait, what are we talking abut?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great lesson. Yes, we all should write what we like, not what is expected or what others might like. You can't please everyone with your writing, don't even try, so the best way to proceed is to please yourself. Kurt Vonnegut said it best - it's one of his 8 rules for writers: "Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the world, so to speak, your story will get pneumonia."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!