IWSG

The Insecure Writer's Support Group was created by Alex J. Cavanaugh as a place where writers can talk about their insecurities once a month, and receive encouragement and support from other writers. It's such an amazing group, it even has its own website now, which you can visit here.


I'm feeling pretty secure right now, mostly due to the amazing feedback I got from the Halloween stories I put up last week. I came runner up for one story, and got a special mention for another, and these are great achievements for me. Because of this I'm feeling really motivated, which is great for the other thing I'm going to talk about today, which is, of course, NaNoWriMo.

NaNo is going quite well for me at the minute; my only problem is time, as usual! I've managed to meet the word limit every day, but just barely. I was hoping to get ahead in my first week, so that I could concentrate more on the big move at the end of the month, but it hasn't gone to plan so far. However, I have a huge slot of writing time today and tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get ahead a little. 

I'm finding NaNo much easier this year than I did when I did it in August last year. I put this down to having a more detailed outline and knowing my characters better. The story is also more focused - the characters all have a clear goal, and I know where I want the story to go. I haven't yet suffered from writer's block, which I struggled a lot with last year - there were a lot of moments where I didn't know where I wanted the story to go next. 

Overall I like this story more, and I'm really enjoying writing it. 


Comments

  1. Yay! It's quite an accomplishment to keep up with Nano when time's tight. That's definitely worth a triple yay. And congrats on those Halloween stories. Enjoy the good feeling :)
    And good luck with the move! - I look at my house and wonder how I'm going to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great feedback and keeping on top of NaNo - sounds like it's going really well! It helps to have a detailed outline to keep you on track. I can't write without one! Glad you're enjoying writing it -best of luck with your goals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your writing! I'm joining NaNo today. A bit late, but I'm very excited to get moving with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Halloween story was special. Definitely worth an honorable mention. :) Good luck with your NaNo project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to joining the NaNo in the future, right now no! Lol.....I wrote my first Halloween Short Story and I totally had fun with it, it forced me to actually sit down and just write, and the feeling I got in doing so was wonderful. All I could think about when I re read my piece was this group of supporters that have graciously be patient!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome to read that you're feeling secure and motivated. Yay! You know I loved your Halloween stories, you did such an amazing job with those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Time is always the hardest factor to overcome when it comes to NaNo! That's great you're enjoying your story so much (that helps a lot to overcome the time-factor). Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to see you're feeling secure Laura, the Halloween stories were great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Each subsequent book gets easier, or at least, that's how I feel. It's like anything else we do, the more we do it, the easier it becomes. --Not because it's easier, but because we understand the process better and have greater foresight about what and how to orchestrate things.

    I'm so glad your stories were received so well! Wahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so fun to read an upbeat, things are rolling along, post of IWSG.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for actually enjoying writing your story! that's fantastic, and I'm so jealous because I've been suffering through mine. (Chock it up to a lack of detailed outline and only a vague idea of where the story needs to go.)

    Much like you, I've got a big chunk of time today to try to get ahead so here's hoping we both come out of it with a decent lead!

    "Just keep writing,. Just keep writing! Just keep writing, writing, writing..."

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you are feeling focused and happy with your writing! That's wonderful!!! NaNo is an awesome challenge. Way to go!!! And congrats on your story success.
    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Building motivation is just as important as making the goal. I am behind on my count also due to a family situation. Back on track today though.
    Keep On Truckin'. It'll come together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad that NaNo is going well for you! Hopefully you do get ahead in the next few days ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have faith in your abilities Miss Laura.... As for writers blog I tend to write right through it an act of belligerent defiance, Moving is far more scary........

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck with your NaNo and I hope the Muse sends you ideas and flowers...and cash. I'm not able to participate this year but I'm certainly going to next year. It looks like a real force for writing. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad it's going so well for you! I hope that continues and you finish out the month having accomplished something to be proud of.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on doing so well with your stories.
    A detailed outline really helps for NaNo. Just keep writing and hope you get ahead today.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Here's to you and your NaNo success!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope you continue to feel secure and happy in your writing life. Best of luck with NaNo and I wish you nothing but continued success!! This is the type of post I love to read- so encouraging. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!