The Towel Day Blogfest

Ok, confession time: this time last week, I had no idea what Towel Day was.


That's right, I signed up for a blogfest that I knew nothing about. However, I'm very glad I did, because this week I read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Volume 1, and I loved it! Also, I now know exactly what Towel Day is all about, and I'm happy to report that I know exactly where my towel is :)

I saw the film when it came out at the cinema, although that was ages ago so pretty much the only thing I could remember was that the answer to life, the universe and everything is 42. Now, having read it, I know that the Earth was commissioned, paid for and run by mice, and that the dolphins were trying to warn humans of its imminent destruction, but their warnings were mistaken for tricks.

Both of these species are more intelligent than humans, according to the book, and that I find easy to believe!

I love the writing style of the book, and the humour, which is funny without being too obvious or in your face.  There are many quotable parts in the book, but here are a few of my favourites:

The dolphins had long known of the impending demolition of Earth and had made many attempts to alert mankind to the danger...The last ever dolphins message was misinterpreted as a surprisingly sophisticated attempt to do a double backward somersault through a hoop whilst whistling "The Star-Spangled Banner," but in fact the message was this: "So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish."
—Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” 
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy


“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?” 
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy


“One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continually stating and repeating the very very obvious.” 
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy


“For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.” 
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy


“Arthur blinked at the screens and felt he was missing something important. Suddenly he realized what it was.
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?" he asked.” 
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
(This would be me)


“Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
(Sass: know, be aware of, meet, have sex with; hoopy: really together guy; frood: really amazingly together guy.)” 
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Thanks L. G. Keltner for introducing me to the wonderful world of Douglas Adams!

Comments

  1. It is a great book and the radio broadcast with Peter Jones as the Book was brill too.

    And everyone should know where their towel is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read "The Hitchhiker's Guide" about twenty years ago and should really read it again. Douglas Adams was great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't read it or seen the movie but the dolphin and garden quotes are my faves from your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only thing that I'm aware with in reference to The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy is like you say the thing about the number 42, I'm intrigued to read the book now after seeing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you got to be introduced to the universe of Douglas Adams. It's a great place to visit! You also selected some great quotes.

    Thanks for participating in my blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too didn't know what the heck Towel Day was, but figured if L.G. was hosting it, it must be a good thing!

    Yes, Douglas Adams is a special kind of read ...

    Happy Towel Day.

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love great quotes, thanks Laura.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!